Record of Burial

Foote, Andrew Hull

Age: 58 years
Date of Death: Friday, June 26, 1863
Lot Location: 10 Maple Ave.

 Andrew Hull Foote was promoted to rear admiral in 1862.

Andrew Hull Foote was born at New Haven, Connecticut, the son of Senator Samuel Augustus Foote (or Foot) and Eudocia Hull. As a child Foote was not known as a good student, but showed a keen interest at one day going to sea. His father compromised and had him entered at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. Six months later in 1822, at the age of 16 he left West Point and accepted an appointment as a midshipman in the U.S. Navy. 

While in the navy, Foote traveled the world including China, Africa, and the South Pacific. He saw action in each location including an anti-slavery patrol that had trouble with restrictive laws (American slavers intercepted by foreign ships had to be released. This required the US Navy to work closely with the British Navy.) When the American Civil War began he was in New York, on more mundane duty in charge of the Brooklyn Navy Yard.

In August 1861, at the outset of the Civil War, Foote was put in charge of naval defense on the upper Mississippi River.

Quickly Foote was in action. In August 1861, he was stationed on the upper Mississippi River. Foote was charged with naval defense that include the building and manning of ships, and leading them into action. Even though the fleet was improvised from whatever ships could be converted or built in a hurry, Foote was brilliantly effective in command.

His first major operation was the February 1862 attack on Forts Henry and Donelson with U. S. Grant. The plan called for a coordinated attack with both the army and navy, but when Foote arrived at Fort Henry he found the Confederate defenses lacking and he decided to act. With the river in flood, Foote sailed straight into the fort and the Confederates surrendered. Grant moved forward to attack Fort Donelson, but he opened the attack too soon. Foote arrived late and when he finally arrived he went straight into action. During the battle he was wounded in the foot from splinters. While the Confederates repulsed Foote’s attack, Fort Donelson eventually fell and Foote received much of the credit. 

His next action was the attack on Island Number 10 that held a commanding position in the middle of the Mississippi River. During the battle his old wound forced him to move to a shore position. In June 1862, Foote moved to Washington, promoted from commodore to rear admiral and given the Thanks of Congress. His new charge was chief of the Bureau of Equipment and Recruiting.

A year later he wangled a sea-going appointment for himself: the command the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron. He died in June 1863 before he could take his position in the blockade off Charleston.